[Geany-devel] Git switch

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Jun 14 07:47:57 UTC 2010

On 14 June 2010 15:41, Thomas Martitz
<thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
> Am 14.06.2010 03:58, schrieb Lex Trotman:
>>
>> I guess we should also consider that no matter how easy we think it
>> will be there will probably be some disruption during the changeover
>> so it should be now (immediately after a release) or not until the
>> next release, which I think is probably better so that the hosting and
>> workflow issues can be worked through some more.  Jiri, hold that
>> Gitorious project to keep out cyber squatters.
>>

> 0.19 is just out, why wait for the next release? 0.19 is so recent, waiting
> for the next release will have no advantage (because we are in the same
> situation then as today). Can you elaborate that please?

Hi Thomas,

Sure, multi part answer.

1. Yes you are right, it doesn't have to be *immediately* after a
release, just before the heavy activity approaching a release.

2. What might be better if there is some delay?

Because I don't think we have got a good handle on host, bug tracker
etc.  The responses were far from unanimous for a switch to Git,
though no one was heavily against it.

As far as I can tell Jiri is the only one who has responded who has
actual experience running a Git project and that is only on Gitoroius.
 So I'd ask:

* Does anyone else run a Git project, which host and whats the experience?
* How many people contribute to one, and what hosting service do they
use and what is the experience, is performance consistent and better
than Sourceforge SVN, all around the world?
* And does anyone have experience using any other DVCS and hosting
service that would make them recommend it, or recommend against it?
* should the bug tracker be moved?  Can it be done without losing anything?

There are rather a lot of options listed here:
https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitHosting  Has anyone used any?

The important things we need to know about a hosting service are:
* likely stability, some have gone offline during the GFC, but this is
hard to judge
* performance for a good range of users in a good range of locations
* reliability, low downtime
* features, hosting clones, bug tracking ?????

My answer is that I only run Git locally, so I cannot add any information.

Who can?  I'm happy to collate the replies.

So far, Jiri I take it you are happy with Gitorious, it has the
features, but some don't like its style, does anyone have performance
problems with it? Whats its reliability like?

For Github, some really don't like its style :-)