[Geany-devel] Git switch

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jun 13 11:08:33 UTC 2010

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:05:26 +1000, Lex wrote:

> As I'm looking at potential hosting services for the first time,
> Gitorious and Github don't actually look to me to be any more socially
> oriented than sourceforge, both seem to emphasise hosting and then
> offer other apps as well just like sourceforge.  Certainly their
> public face tries to be friendlier whereas sourceforge is a bit

"friendlier"? Really?
To me they seem bloated and sort of unusable.
github's interface is totally unusable, the dynamic loading of the
directory contents sucks and the overall usage of their repo browser is
awful, IMHO.
Similar for gitorious though it's not as bad as github.

In fact, I do like Sourceforge's plainness or better, the plainness of
git-web. Also, IMO cgit is a completely sufficient web interface.

Ok, this was only about the git web interface of the hosing services
but still.
I really don't like github and gitorious. Also, as I said I'm not that
familiar with GIT but I don't see why features like forking or such
should be done by a hosting service, aren't these all features of the
VCS itself?