[Geany-devel] Build config dialog change

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Sat Jun 12 21:46:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 07:44, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nick, Enrico, Jiri,
>
> I have made a version of build such that In the build config dialogs,
> that is both "set build commands" dialog and project properties tab:
>
> 1. settings being overridden from another source are insensitive
> (current behaviour)

Why can't one change the global commands when they are overridden by
the project ones?

> 2. fields where the setting is set from another source but the source
> edited by this dialog can override that setting is shown in grey (the
> colour change is new)
> 3. when you enter a field (or click on the label button) the text
> changes to normal colour to indicate that this source is now
> controlling the setting (the colour change is new)
> 4. When a row is cleared the text returns to grey as the original
> source is no longer being overridden (the colour change is new)
>
> This changed the way the conditions to save the setting were calculated.
>
> Because this is more than a trivial change I have committed it to the
> unstable branch (and a second one to remove a debug printf oops) so
> Nick/Enrico can check it to see if they are happy for it to go into
> 0.19 to help reduce the confusion.
>
> @Jiri I hope this makes things clearer.

This is MUCH better than before. The only problem might be that the
user might not know what the change of the color means. (The problem
with me now is that I understand completely what geany does so I can't
look at it independently enough to see what a user with no knowledge
about it will think. If only I could erase my memory from the last few
days :-) But I like it.

So just to summarize what I see as the remaining problems and what's missing:
1. Clearer indication that filetype commands change for different
languages (I'd also like to see the language selectable in the dialog)
2. Grouping execute and build commands together so it's clear that
they are per-filetype (now I have an idea for name substitution for
"non-filetype" - maybe "filetype-independent" could be clearer)

And I have one more idea - wouldn't it be better to put the contents
of the "set build commands" dialog as a new tab in the "preferences"
dialog? This would mean that there are only two settings dialogs - the
preferences dialog for global options and "project properties" for the
project ones.

Cheers,

Jiri