[Geany-devel] [ANNOUNCE] gproject - yet another geany project plugin

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Thu Jun 10 17:54:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 22:19:37 +0200
Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 19:03, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Depends what you call of a project. How about "the files in a certain
> > directory and it's subdirectories"? All open source software is
>
> Precisely! That's _exactly_ what my plugin does - you set the base
> directory by putting the project definition file there and use
> wildcards to specify what files you want to be present in the project
> (e.g. *.c;*.h;*.am) [...] But you should be able to quickly access the source files
> (and filter out the files you are not interested in)

Yet another file system browser...

> > With this definition, the Geany "project" is only a set of files (from
> > the entire project) that you're currently working on, plus the ability
>
> Which contradicts what you just said before - a project is a set of
> files in a directory (and its subdirectories), not the subset of files
> you are working on right now. Compare the following two phrases:
>
> open source project
> open source set of files I'm working on right now
>
> They are not equal.

Yes, so I wrote "session != project". Your mistake is the assumption
that the Geany project and the file system project absolutely _have_ to
be identical, and anything else is "conceptually wrong". No, it's just
different. Improving the Geany projects (for example the Build
settings) is not a matter of "fixing" by replacing them with something
completely different.

> > The reason to include all project files in a list will be to provide
> > additional functionality for them. However: source/header switching can
> > be implemented without any project; searching in the project files is
>
> How will you know where to search for the header/source then? They
> don't have to be necessarily stored in the same directory (very true
> for the project I'm working on at work, but many other projects
> actually - it's quite common to put includes to a completely separate
> directory).

Under the project base path. Of course, it's easier to find if you
already have the file list.

> > not much different from Find in files; finding a project file is much
> > easier with the file manager; headers, sources and other files already
>
> Really? Let's suppose you want to use grep [...] First you have to leave
> geany and switch to console [...]

Huh? Search -> Find in files.

> grep is much faster if restricted to the correct files [still I'm
> talking about projects with tens of thousands source files]).

I'm not quite sure Geany is the best tool for this...

> Plus you'll see all of the garbage files like *.o *.so and so on which
> you'll never ever edit by the editor. Not really nice to navigate in
> such a directory. And again, you have to switch from geany to your
> file manager which slows you down.

Scrolling the sidebar tabs is not fast either, and browsing a project
with tens of thousands of files (or anything > 300 from my experience),
using a side-window, without the powerful navigation of a file
manager...

It seems to me that simply adding a "project patterns" field in the
Geany project settings dialog, and making the patterns available to all
browser plugins and Find in files, would have been better than
duplicating functionality.

> So how about testing the plugin? I'd like [...] to get a feedback
> based on your real experience with it, not your assumptions how you
> think it works ;-).

$ git clone http://gitorious.org/gproject
Initialized empty Git repository in [...]
fatal: http://gitorious.org/gproject/info/refs not found: did you run
git update-server-info on the server?

$ git clone git://gitorious.org/gproject
Initialized empty Git repository in [...]

My experience with git is very limited (Windows GUI only), yet these
look like server errors.

P.S. Thanks for fixing C-Tab.

--
E-gards: Jimmy