[Geany-devel] OT replace c++ - Re: project build dialog - Re: [ANNOUNCE] gproject - yet another geany project plugin

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Jun 10 16:15:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:48:39 +0200
Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I agree it helps, but are there really no successful widespread
> > languages that didn't have corporate backing?
> >

> Unfortunately we're not living in the 70's or 80's, where the best had
> a chance, and there's a lot of software written in the mainstream

I think that's a bit pessimistic.

> languages. These applications won't get rewritten just because some
> better language appeared (or do you plan to rewrite geany in D? :-).
> In the last 15 years the only successful languages were those where
> some big company was behind (Java, C#).

It's not normally a good idea to rewrite applications. But new
applications could be written in a language like D or Go (obviously).

Any successful language will need to interface well with C.

> >> And it's fast. I spend one hour a day just
> >> compiling with C++ code.
> >
> > A D developer says it's faster than Go at compiling, and it has
> > templates:
> > http://www.digitalmars.com/pnews/read.php?server=news.digitalmars.com&group=digitalmars.D&artnum=108831
>
> Well, it really depends if he was compiling a single file or a library

The link says:
"So the go compiler compiles 120KLOC in 9.23 seconds. I got curious so I
just tested dmd against Phobos (88KLOC). That takes 1.24 seconds on my
laptop."

Phobos is D's standard library, and includes templates quite a bit.

> with many includes. What makes the compilation of C++ slow is that it
> has to parse the same headers again and again every time they are
> included (and all the includes inside the includes). This is
> eliminated in go. If D uses includes, then it will be slow for big
> projects too.

It doesn't use includes per say, but compiler-generated .di files. C++
parsing is slow anyway because of templates.

(I think both D and Go have ways to speed up compilation further).

Regards,
Nick