[Geany-devel] project build dialog - Re: [ANNOUNCE] gproject - yet another geany project plugin

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Jun 10 11:23:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:44:24 +0200
Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, it's pretty confusing. Once you create a project you don't expect
> >> that what you see in the build tab changes based on what change you
> >> make in the global settings (until you modify the commands in the
> >> project for the first time). This makes the project totally unportable
> >> because it depends on the global settings of the current instance of
> >> geany. So if I move the project from my home computer to work, things
> >> just can stop working because I have different global settings there.
> >>
> >> What I would suggest is that upon project creation you make a complete
> >> copy
> >
> > Thats just what I didn't want to do, remember there are filetype
> > commands and execute commands too makes each project copy big.
>
> Then I would suggest that there are no per-project filetype commands
> and you just copy the global ones. In project you care about a set of
> files so global/general/non-filetype options are the ones you want to
> change. This seems to be the most reasonable solution now.

I have argued that project filetype commands are useful, but you have a
good argument here. Perhaps the complexity is not worth it when project
non-filetype commands could suffice.

I also like the copying non-project commands into the project idea.

> > Seriously, yes the whole thing should be in one dialog so that you can
> > see what overrides what and edit the one you want, thats part of v2.0.
> >

> No, seriously, it shouldn't. How will it work with different project
> plugins? Please describe how you imagine the dialog should work so I
> can tell you why it's not a good idea ;-).

I agree with Lex here but only if editing non-project commands when a
project is open is necessary.

Geany's project concept is integrated in a number of places, not just
for sessions or build commands. Project plugins should not aim to take
over Geany's project functionality, but work alongside it IMO. That may
require API additions, but less so than rewriting all Geany's
project functionality.

Regards,
Nick