[Geany-devel] project build dialog - Re: [ANNOUNCE] gproject - yet another geany project plugin

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Jun 10 10:35:38 UTC 2010

On 10 June 2010 19:44, Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 03:07, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Note to self, read the whole thread before replying to any :-) see my
>> other reply plus below.

>>> Yes, it's pretty confusing. Once you create a project you don't expect
>>> that what you see in the build tab changes based on what change you
>>> make in the global settings (until you modify the commands in the
>>> project for the first time). This makes the project totally unportable
>>> because it depends on the global settings of the current instance of
>>> geany. So if I move the project from my home computer to work, things
>>> just can stop working because I have different global settings there.
>>>
>>> What I would suggest is that upon project creation you make a complete
>>> copy
>>
>> Thats just what I didn't want to do, remember there are filetype
>> commands and execute commands too makes each project copy big.
>
> Then I would suggest that there are no per-project filetype commands
> and you just copy the global ones. In project you care about a set of
> files so global/general/non-filetype options are the ones you want to
> change. This seems to be the most reasonable solution now.

No, that doesn't handle when projects use different compilers or
targets compared to the default ones, changing the commands in the
build dialog when swapping between projects is tedious and error
prone.

> But really, think about how this is agains anything the user would
> expect. What the user sees is that:
>
> * sometimes changing the command in the "set build command" dialog
> changes the settings in the project

The set build commands *never* changes anything in the project, where
defined, the project command overrides the normal ones.

> * sometimes it doesn't change the project
>
> and he has no indication when this happens (there is no indication
> that the settings has been overridden in the project dialog so it's
> just invisible). This is totally stupid.

This is unproductive, I've already said this UI is proposed to change,
just repeating its bad gets us nowhere.

>>  of the global settings and since then the two are edited
>>> independently. Otherwise all the settings is a total mess.
>>
>> And you program in C++ !! I'd have thought overriding some entries
>> only would be easy to understand :-)
>
> Yes, but I didn't say I like C++ - I don't. The language is made in a
> completely wrong way. Unfortunately the fact is that it's one of the
> most wide-spread "low-level" OO languages with lots of libraries
> existing for it and programs written in it. But I really hope that one
> day it gets replaced by something like go:
>
> http://golang.org/

And I'm not getting into an argument on languages

> But the fact that C++ does things in a stupid way doesn't mean we have
> to do it too. We can't change C++ but we can make geany to be easy to
> use. I prefer simple and less flexible GUI that is easy to use than
> complex "I can do all" GUI that nobody understands (and that's geany's
> philosophy at least from what I have seen). So as I said, I would just
> remove the filetype options from the project settings.
>

>> Seriously, yes the whole thing should be in one dialog so that you can
>> see what overrides what and edit the one you want, thats part of v2.0.
>>

> No, seriously, it shouldn't. How will it work with different project
> plugins? Please describe how you imagine the dialog should work so I
> can tell you why it's not a good idea ;-).

As I said many posts ago, there will be an interface for plugins to
set the commands to be used, so use your own dialog, the Geany dialog
will just note that "This command has been set by the xxx plugin" or
similar message.