[Geany-devel] git - Re: [ANNOUNCE] gproject - yet another geany project plugin

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Thu Jun 10 09:21:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 02:00, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 June 2010 02:57, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 18:15:02 +0200
>> Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:

>> If Geany switches, I'd love for geany-plugins to switch as well.
>>

> The switch to a dvcs would be useful since local version control would
> then be integrated with the main vcs (if you wanted it to be).
>
> If Geany switches then the process needs to be decided and promulgated first.
>
> Can personal branches be hosted on your host or only branches created
> by you, allows sm, the new unstable and bs to operate mostly like now,
> separate but globally visible. Who is your host?
>
> Who has permissions to do what, Git can have very fine control over
> who can do what.
>
> What workflow are you going to follow?  eg stable branch only releases
> are committed to, unstable that reviewed changes and patches are
> committed to? or what?

I'm a maintainer of this project:

http://projects.gnome.org/libchamplain

so I can describe my personal experience with git the way I use it
(I'm not saying that it's the best workflow or that you have to use
it, it's just one of the possible alternatives).

First, I use two repositories that users can pull from; one at gnome:

git://git.gnome.org/libchamplain

and one at gitorious:

http://gitorious.org/libchamplain

There is only me who can push to these repositories and I always push
to both synchronously at the same time. Actually I'm pushing to the
repository at gnome only because gnome projects have to use this
repository - otherwise the one at gitorious would be just fine. The
nice thing about gitorious is can host anyone else's clones (with
their own patches) of the master repository. So contributors do their
development at their own clones and once they are finished, they
request a merge. Then I pull their changes and apply them if I like
them. I do rebases on top of the mainline's (or the appropriate
branch's) HEAD - this makes the history linear and easier to follow (I
know Linus discourages from rebasing in linux kernel but for such
small projects like geany and libchamplain there is very small risk
that someone would start his work on top of other person's branch).

So in short I would suggest:
1. One person with push rights
2. Using gitorious (github or whatever) so contributors can have their
own clones hosted somewhere
3. Using rebase to have linear history

Jiri