[Geany-devel] multiple instance save-settings - Re: Race condition when saving geany.conf

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Jun 9 22:38:17 UTC 2010

On 10 June 2010 07:50, Thomas Martitz
<thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
> Am 04.06.2010 03:27, schrieb Lex Trotman:
>
> Yep, and I wasn't interested in multi instance either until I realised
> that it allows me to have Geany on multiple screens, I do  lot of
> switching back and forth between .hpp and .cpp files so showing them
> both would be a *big* help.
>
> How about a proper split edit plugin then? :)

Multi window editing is the "right" way to do it, but...

Unfortunately scintilla doesn't have a model view paradigm so you have
to replay all changes if the same file is visible in two windows.
Recent scintilla discussions were not encouraging on the effort
required.

Also most of Geany isn't reentrant (eg much of it depends on a global
view of current document, project, etc) so there will need to be
changes to fix that and to support multiple projects.

 But of course don't let that stop you :)