[Geany-devel] Multiple instances of Geany issues

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Sat Jun 5 09:10:01 UTC 2010

Hi,

> - Limit Project -> Properties to saving the preferences only, and
> limit project_close() to saving the file list only.

Here it is, combined with the other save-* patches. BTW, when creating
a new project, it's immediately saved, both the settings and the file
list. So to avoid function cloning, and since it's unclear what save
behaviour will be approved, I decided to declare an enum save {dialog,
non-dialog, all} and use such argument for configuration_save() and
project's write_config().

What remains:

Decide on "Save settings?" prompts, or make it an option - see below.

Decide whether to merge the recent files in geany.conf in real time,
or have separate geany.conf and per-project recent file lists (since
we have per-project open file lists).

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 16:38:57 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Something like "This is a secondary instance of Geany, saving your
> settings will overwrite the settings from your main instance,
> Save/Cancel".  They should still be applied locally of course,
> otherwise why allow the prefs dialog at all.

The more I think about that, the less I like it. Not only will be such
a prompt irritating, especially for Apply, but how many times before the
user chooses the wrong button and overrides the settings, or loses them
after exiting geany?

Why not make it an option, default=on for compatibility, disabled for
the secondary instances (since they depend on it). Personally I'll just
leave it on and be done, while you will probably turn it off.

--
E-gards: Jimmy