[Geany-devel] Multiple instances of Geany issues

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Wed Jun 2 18:55:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 12:14:48 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

(This is an answer to Eugene too)

> BTW changing filetype files is not that rare, every time you add an
> option to your compile command you change one.  Me, I add/remove -g
> quite often :)

Yet the race is not that often - you'll need to change something for
the same filetype in 2+ instances in the Set build commands
(not the project) dialog. That should be movered, of course.

> 1. save the config/project/filetype file settings when changed, in any
> instance but with warning in non-main instances, no race because user
> serialises, last changed wins (see !! below), add reload menu item(s)
> to allow user to sync instances if desired

Do you mean a warning that the settings are saved, a question whether
to save the settings, or a question whether to accept and save them?

In any case, Edit -> Preferences -> Apply will be problematic. It saves
the settings without closing the dialog, so there will be a question on
each Apply.

> 2. When closed by sm, save the file list in a per instance session
> file not the config/project file, then when the session is restarted
> each instance loads its session file list not the config/project file
> list and doesn't store in project or config file, no race

My sm saves the entire configuration (including the file list) into a
session file, so each Geany is restored with it's own settings and
interface layout too.

> [...]

Thank you for writing the summary, it was about time. The behaviour
looks quite reasonable behaviour IMHO. Let me add:

7. Any time a project is closed, save it's file list in the project
file.

Most of the above are already available as patches. What remains:

- Warnings (questions?) on Edit -> Preferences, Project -> Properties
and Build -> Set build commands.

- Limit Project -> Properties to saving the preferences only, and limit
project_close() to saving the file list only.

I can write the latter, if we agree on the above behaviour.

> I admit I don't use recent file list much so my choice is for the
> easiest :). So I agree, I wouldn't bother merging recent list.  Since
> its in the same file(s) as the file list just let it work as the file
> list does in 1-6.

Since I use Geany under X only, and my sm saves the recent files /
projects for each Geany, merging the recent lists won't be very
beneficial to me... So let the others decide.

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 11:19:06 +0400
Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Great summary.  Now what we need is a comparison table with four
> columns for trunk, trunk with your and Dimitar's patches, my SM
> and Dimitar's SM.

My sm requires the Build -> Set build commands changes to be saved
immediately [save-filetypes-now.diff I sent on 24.05] to avoid the
filetype files race described in the first paragraph.

Aside from that, it neither requires nor implements #1 and #3..#7. The
patches I wrote for some of them were to make Geany behaviour more
useful and predictable.

The implementation of #2 is described above.

--
E-gards: Jimmy