[Geany-devel] SM r4968 bug (was: Multiple instances of Geany issues)

Eugene Arshinov earshinov at xxxxx
Wed Jun 2 05:39:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 21:22:06 +0300%
Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 21:15:09 +0400
> Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 19:55:27 +0300%
> > Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I wanted to test that, but the sm-4977 works quite amazing on my
> > > system: running geany closes the entire session [...]
> >
> > It is terrible…  I'm not experiencing this here in GNOME.  Could you
> > check previous revisions to determine when the bug appeared?
>
> 67 works, 68 fails. Stable.

Thanks much for investigating this.

Seems that it will be hard to fix.  I've looked through the changes
made by merge to files I usually touch in SM, but did not find
anything that could cause such a failure. And core SM code in sm.c
during the merge, of course, remained the same.

I've also googled this problem a bit.  In some cases removing
~/.ICEauthority helps, and in one case [1] this failure is probably
caused by a long delay when the program is starting.  The latter is
probably not the case with Geany as startup code main.c remained mostly
unchanged, so I believe Geany's startup time didn't increase
significantly.

In all cases I've googled it's only the program that crashes, not the
entire session…  Also, errno=32 (EPIPE) indicates something weird is
going on.  Maybe (blind guess), if startup time is nevertheless the
issue, XFCE session manager terminates the connection on timeout…

Maybe you can track down the bug further by merging trunk to 4967
«step by step» and checking whether the bug is present after each
step.  When using binary search, those 500 trunk commits will require
10 steps to check.  AFAIU, I had no large conflicts while merging.  So,
if you suddenly have free time for this method, please give it a try.

Could anyone else test SM branch (preferably using XFCE)?

Best regards,
Eugene.

[1] <http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=105445&t=1252278040&page=1>