[Geany-devel] Multiple instances of Geany issues

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Tue Jun 1 16:55:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, 31 May 2010 13:35:26 +0400
Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to mention, I ported to my SM branch the patches posted earlier in
> this thread.
>
> Also, I've changed the code to write changed recent files and projects
> lists to geany.conf as soon as possible instead of writing them on
> exit. [...]

I wanted to test that, but the sm-4977 works quite amazing on my system:
running geany closes the entire session, without as much as a xfce sm
signal to the applications. The only error message I was able to record
is "ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 8983, errno =
32". The pid is Geany's.

> After this one problem remains: handling of a project opened in several
> instances.  It could be easy to apply "immediate save" technique for
> them too if we hadn't to maintain list of project's files.

Currently, both the project settings and files are saved on any
of Project -> Preferences, Project -> Close / New / Open and File ->
Quit.

Following the logic of the other patches, IMHO Project -> Preferences
should save the settings only, and the other functions should save the
file list only. As of a project open 2+ times, I expect the file list
to be almost identical. It's not like running a -i instance, which
starts with an empty file list.

> How should lists of files from several instances be combined?

Should they be combined? We never discussed such thing for 2+
instances, not even for 2+ main instances. Merging recent makes sense,
indeed, but adding files to be open on the next run of Geany, or the
next time a project is open?..

--
E-gards: Jimmy