[Geany-devel] Script: Generate loadable tag files for Geany

Guenther Brunthaler gb_about_gnu at xxxxx
Thu Jul 29 15:27:47 UTC 2010

Hi Lex,

On 2010-07-29 05:20, Lex Trotman wrote:

> I better warn you that it might take a while, the developers are a bit
> overloaded with "real" life at the moment.

No problem, but thanks for the warning anyway.

Well, here's just the next script: It solves the problem that "geany -g"
can only create tag files for one language at a time, but there may be
multiple source code languages present in a project.

This script runs "geany -g" with the correct parameters to generate tag
files for all supported languages for the source files encountered in
the current directory tree.

This script gets its information (which file extensions are supported
for which languages) from parsing the Geany configuration files as well
as reading the directory tree searching for matching source files. It
also sets up CFLAGS automatically to include all directories containing
#include files in sorted breadth-first order.

I have to add that I wrote this script "by mistake" - I did not know
what Geany's "tag-files" are actually used for.

What I expected them to be was something like ctags files; that is, they
would allow me to find a tag declaration everywhere in a project, and
not just in the currently opened files.

But it turned out that "tag" files are actually only used for keyboard
completion and ballon help. ;-)

Cheers,

Guenther