[Geany-devel] Per document tab width

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Thu Jul 22 18:05:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 22:20:52 +0200
Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have one more feature idea and would like to ask if it is something
> that others would like to see too before I start implementing it. I'm
> working on a project where everyone expresses his personality by using
> different tab width for indenting - I have already seen sources with
> tab size of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 (it's just a matter of time until I
> see a source with tab width 7).

I have the same problem sometimes, with my company sources, but even
our medium-class commercial IDE only supports per-filetype tab widths.
Is it reasonable to expect per-document widths from Geany?

A fast solution would be to write a simple a plugin that declares keys
for tab widths 2 to 8, by default Alt+2 to Alt+8, and calls
sci_send_message(current, SCI_SETTABWIDTH). They won't be saved, but
at least you'll be able to switch quickly and per-document.

BTW, there is a bug in the Project -> Preferences: when changing the
indentation Width, at least with Type:Tabs, the previous width is
applied, instead of the current one. Edit -> Preferences works fine.

--
E-gards: Jimmy