[Geany-devel] [Bug] When saving a modified file, a new empty line is added

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Jan 18 12:48:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:23:09 +0100
Colomban Wendling <ban-ubuntu at club-internet.fr> wrote:

> >> I still don't see what's the problem with simply deactiviting the
> >> feature
> >> if it causes troubles for you.
> > The problem is the *default value*. Each time a PHP developer installs
> > Geany, he must keep in mind to disable this feature to avoid weird
> > problems when using the *header()* function (frequent).
> I don't see the problem in facts: anyway inserting a final PHP closing
> tag is not required[1] and some (including me) recommends not to insert
> it[2], for the reason you mention − unwanted headers.
>
> But there may be languages where having a newline cause real trouble, I
> don't know. Anyway I think having an ending newline is better in most
> cases (for example, some UNIX commands works better with it).
> Then, I think adding such an option in the filetypes is somewhat
> overkill, but of course if anybody adds it − as far as C, Python and
> Vala keeps the same behaviour ;) − I wouldn't complain.

Perhaps it could be off by default on Windows but on by default on
*nix. Not sure if that would fix the PHP issue though.

Regards,
Nick