[Geany-devel] Build system status update

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Jan 17 22:52:49 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I have just returned from a no-computers except gmail at the local
internet cafe family holiday.

Having had time to think (always dangerous) I consider that I have
been implementing the build system modifications in the wrong way.
Instead I am going to have a look at re-implementing it in a more open
orthogonal manner and then incorporate current restrictions and
behaviour from defaults or configuration files.

I believe that this will make the code smaller and simpler, eliminate
some of the implementation imposed limitations of the current system
and provide a base for easier addition of language specific
functionality via plugins as requested by Frank.

The availability of sane defaults and configuration will also allow a
simple configuration dialog to be used to change the most common
things with one of those "Advanced..." buttons to unleash the full
flexibility.