[Geany-devel] Changing from scintilla to gtksourceview or scintilla over gtksourceview

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Sat Jan 2 22:23:28 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 30.12.2009, 00:26 +0100 schrieb Enrico Tröger:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:12:36 +0100, Thomas wrote:
>
> >Am 29.12.2009 19:55, schrieb Enrico Tröger:
> >> An interesting question could be which engine is faster but this is
> >> probably hard to test and maybe not even worth if the difference is
> >> quite small or not even noticeable.
> >
> > From my POV, scintilla is pretty slow. Especially on windows where
> >scrolling is painfully slow, but also for opening the
>
> This isn't strictly Scintilla's fault. It's rather because of the fact
> that we use the GTK port of Scintilla on Windows while Scintilla has
> its own Windows port which runs way faster. But using it isn't that
> easy as everything around is still GTK. But this is something we maybe
> could improve.
>

> >auto-completition list (although I remember it was way faster some
> >month ago, so it could be my system(s)). I don't know whether
>
> The question is whether really the plain displaying(i.e. drawing it on
> the screen) of the list is slow or whether generating the contents of
> the list is slow. The drawing is Scintilla's part, filling values into
> the list is Geany's part which could also be slow.
>

> Regards,
> Enrico

For those guys having performance problems on Windows with Geany, I
would recommend to have a look on Programmers Notepad: www.pnotepad.org,
it uses - other than Geany - the Windows port of Scintilla (AFAIK).
This also would have the effect, that it could be found out if there is
a generic problem or a problem related to the GTK port of Scintilla (or
maybe even Geany).

Hope that maybe helps out the Windows-using guys until the Windows-Port
of Geany got improved ;)

Btw: I personally did not have any problems with Geany on Windows yet,
just one time Geany used 100% CPU, in month of using Geany on Windows at
work. And I'm using the nightly builds. :)

Regards,
Dominic

--
Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at gmail.com>

http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint:
A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0 BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D