[Geany-devel] Race condition when saving geany.conf

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Feb 26 15:39:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 22:02:55 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> The overall issue of preferences, configuration and sessions for multiple
> instances is an interesting one (Sorry Eugene, I've got no answers but lots
> of questions)
>
> Why is the first necessarily the "master"?
> Is this by definition or is there a reason?
> What if the first is started with -i?
>  And what happens to configuration changes I make in other instances?
>
> You see, I'm forgetful, if I had more than one Geany running (and I can see
> good reasons to do that) then I may forget which one is the "master" and
> change a preference in a different instance, so what happens to the conf
> file?

At first Geany couldn't be run with multiple instances due to the
socket code. I changed this but did nothing to avoid overwrite problems.

As Geany is written without the ability to share settings, and in
some cases not able to update a setting at runtime, I think it
would be too much work making Geany truly multi-instance like Firefox.

Regards,
Nick