[Geany-devel] Build system branch 2.0

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Feb 21 14:03:01 UTC 2010

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:52:42 +1100, Lex wrote:

Hi,

sorry (again) for the late response...real life sucks.

>As I see it there area couple of ways of implementing your suggestion:
>
>1. a basic build system in the core and the advanced one in the
>plugin, or
>2. the two plugins approach
>
>1. has the advantage that the basic system is always available even if
>Geany is started without plugins, but then the build-in system needs
>to be able to be completely disabled when the plugin takes over
>2. makes the takeover problem simpler,
>
>But both require that everything that the build system needs to do is
>available through the plugin API, and thats likely to be a big API,
>much of which no one else will want to use.  This includes interface
>to the preferences and filetype files for saving and restoring
>settings.
>
>Now as I understand it, what we are trying to achieve is:
>
>1. By default Geany provides a set of capabilities roughly equivalent
>to 0.18
>2. By default Geany provides an easy configuration capability that
>hides complex capability
>3. An alternative that allows "configure everything" control
>
>Now it seems to me that it doesn't matter how complex the internal
>operation of the build system is, so long as a default user sees
>functionality as at
>1. and 2. does not expose that complexity.
>
>So I propose that a build-system with full capability but only a simple
>configuration dialog be in core, and the full configure dialog be in a
>plugin.
>
>This makes the plugin interface much narrower, mostly the capability
>to set the configuration.  That interface would be the interface to
>the "operation" object I defined in the design spec (I'll get you to
>read it yet ;-)

In the meantime, I realised my idea wasn't the best I ever had...:)
But I do like your proposal to have it all in the core except the
"heavy" configuration dialog which could be in a plugin.

As long as it works in the end, I'm all for it.

Just go to get it, I don't want to hinder new stuff any longer.