[Geany-devel] Doc errata?: Inserting Unicode characters.

Tony Rick tonyr42 at xxxxx
Sat Feb 20 06:36:29 UTC 2010

One of the modifications in the Doc patch about Tools->Reload Configuration
is in the *Inserting Unicode characters* section.   Here is the modified
excerpt:

With GTK 2.10 and above, you can insert Unicode code points by hitting
> Ctrl-Shift-u, then still holding Ctrl-Shift, type some hex digits
> representing
> the code point for the character you want, then let go of Ctrl-Shift and
> hit Enter or Return.
>
> For this to work in Geany, you'll need to first unbind Ctrl-Shift-u
> in the `keybinding preferences`_, then select *Tools->Reload Configuration*
>
> or restart Geany. Note that it works slightly differently from other GTK
> applications, in that you'll need to continue to hold down the Ctrl and
> Shift
> keys while typing the code point hex digits.

I tried this when checking for Reload Configuration effects.  I noted that
currently (revision 4675) Ctrl-Shift-u is not bound in the *keybinding
preferences*, and that using Enter or Return to end the Unicode specifier
actually entered a carriage return in the text.  Intuitively, a space after
the code should be enough to end the specifier, and indeed it does.  I'm not
sure whether this is a bug in the code, or a needed document modification.
I didn't go looking for the point in revision history where the behavior
changed.

- tony