[Geany-devel] Moving the VTE terminal to the Sidebar

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at xxxxx
Fri Dec 17 14:19:30 UTC 2010

Hello

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Matthew Brush <matthewbrush at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote a simple little plugin which moves the VTE into the sidebar.  The
> purpose/rational is described in the README at:
>
> https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-sidebarterm

After a bit of testing, I've identified some unexpected usage issues,
mainly related to actions assigned to key bindings.
- send selection: if I bind 'Send selection to terminal' to 'ctrl+r'
and select some text and hit the binding, then
-- a previously hidden Message Window will pop-up, even though the
Terminal tab is longer there. There is a simple way to work around by
minimizing the Message Window to a ridiculously small size, but the
behaviour is still unsettling
-- an un-focused Sidebar Terminal tab will not get focused (for
example, focus the Sidebar Documents tab and send something to
terminal from editor and see that the Terminal is not shown)

- focus terminal: if I bind 'Switch to terminal' to 'F2', make sure
that the Message Window is hidden, edit smth in the editor and hit F2,
then the the Message Window will pop-up while the terminal will stay
hidden

I believe that these minor issues stem from the assumption that the
VTE is always in the Message Window, but this can be different now.
Would these issues be hard to fix?

Thank you
Liviu