[Geany-devel] Moving the VTE terminal to the Sidebar

Matthew Brush matthewbrush at xxxxx
Thu Dec 16 04:13:45 UTC 2010

On 12/15/2010 06:27 PM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Le 16/12/2010 02:37, Matthew Brush a écrit :
>>> Well, the first idea that comes to my mind is to check if the widget
>>> inside the tab is actually a VTE. I guess there is GObject-like API for
>>> the VTE, such as VTE_IS_TERMINAL(obj), so you can check whether the
>>> packed child in the tab is really the one you're searching for.
>>> Well, take into account that Geany might add a frame/scrolled
>>> window/whatever before the VTE, but you should be able to do the check
>>> correctly.
>> Thanks for the hint.  The problem should now be fixed, at least as good
>> as I can figure without modifying Geany.
>>
>> https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-sidebarterm
>>
>> Feedback welcome.
> I'd implemented this in a slightly more generic fashion, something like
> one of these (untested) examples:
> http://nopaste.geany.org/p/f321377d7
>
> The advantage is that it does not depend on the actual widget hierarchy,
> and simply checks if there is a VTE terminal anywhere behind (or at,
> depending on the implementation) a given widget.

Thanks!  I just added the 2nd variation to the code, it's much better
than my attempt :)

My next todo item is how to make the plugin not load (cancel loading) if
the VTE is not found, for example after the error message, it gets
unchecked in the Plugin Manager so that the error message doesn't occur
each time Geany is loaded.

Matthew Brush (codebrainz)