[Geany-devel] Moving the VTE terminal to the Sidebar

Matthew Brush matthewbrush at xxxxx
Wed Dec 15 08:29:12 UTC 2010

On 12/14/2010 11:20 PM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Matthew Brush<matthewbrush at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wrote a simple little plugin which moves the VTE into the sidebar.  The
>> purpose/rational is described in the README at:
>>
>> https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-sidebarterm
>>
>> You can see a screenshot of the plugin in action here:
>>
>> https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-sidebarterm/raw/master/sidebarterm_screenshot.png
>>
> Nice, thanks for working on this. I think it will be useful in my
> working with Geany. The plug-in configures, builds and loads fine in
> Geany 0.20 (svn>= r5478), but I cannot find a way to actually move
> vte to sidebar.

It should move the VTE to the sidebar automatically when the plugin is
activated in the Plugin Manager, you should see the Terminal tab
disappear from the message window at the bottom and a Terminal tab
should appear in the sidebar.  It should switch back when the plugin is
de-activated.  Of course you need Geany to be supporting the VTE
terminal, which can be enabled/disabled under the General->Startup tab
in the Preferences dialog, the option that says "Load virtual terminal
support" (it's default on here).  If you don't have that option, or you
don't see a Terminal tab in the Geany Preferences dialog, then your
Geany is probably not built/running with VTE support (ex. on Windows I
don't think the VTE is supported at all).  If it still doesn't work, let
me know because maybe I did something incorrectly in the code.
>> If you care to test it out, either get the source from the github repository
>> linked above or from this tarball:
>>
>> https://github.com/downloads/codebrainz/geany-sidebarterm/sidebarterm-0.0.1.tar.gz
>>
>> I'm not very good with Autotools yet, but it seems to
>> configure/compile/install fine here.
>>
>> I've also made an attempt to modify the Geany source itself in order to add
>> an option to choose the terminal location from the preferences dialog,
>>
> I cannot find this pref (although it should probably be located in
> 'Edit>  Plugins Prefs' dialogue). Any suggestions?
The preferences I was talking about there are only if you applied the
"geany_vte.patch" to the Geany source and re-built it, however I don't
necessarily recommend doing that as the patch is not tested, nor is it
completely working.

There are no preferences for the plugin, it just works as described
above (by activating/de-activating the plugin).