[Geany-devel] Geany-Plugins: Having just one copy of GPL inside source tree / Waf size

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Aug 24 17:47:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:14:54 +0100, Nick wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 01:49:36 +0200
>Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
>
>> during the work on Updatecheker I recognized another time that nearly
>> every plugin is having its own copy of GPL. As most of the plugins
>> code is licensed under GPL2+, what do you think of moving the
>> individual copies of GPL into a central, geany-plugins-License as

Then you would have to maintain a list of the plugins with the licenses
they use.

>If the GPL copies are virtually the same I guess they won't take space
>when they're compressed.

I agree.
First of all, all the license files are plain ASCII text which can be
really good compressed. And as Nick said, since those files are the
same, the compression ratio should be even higher.
Additionally, compared to the rest of all the contents, the license
files might not be the biggest factor.

>Also what if an author wanted to distribute their plugin separately?

Also agree.