[Geany-devel] When is the scintilla component going to be updated?

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Wed Aug 11 12:28:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 13:52, Thomas Martitz
<thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
>  On 11.08.2010 12:56, Jiří Techet wrote:
>>
>> I'm using the git mirror that geany provides. I keep master in sync
>> with the geany mirror without any extra patches applied (so basically
>> I do 'git pull' in master now and then) and have my patches in a
>> separate branch. After pulling from geany's repository I checkout the
>> branch with my patches and do 'git rebase master' which puts my
>> patches on top of the current master. When sending the patches to the
>> mailing list, I do 'git send-email --attach --compose HEAD~X..', where
>> X is the number of patches I'm sending. I make the commit messages
>> detailed enough so they serve as the email body too. Just mentioning
>> this workflow as others might find it useful as well.
>>

> I hope you don't rebase, because I'm tracking your branches and it's a pain
> if upstream does rebasing :(

Well, the work is done in the way so that I can send clean sequence of
patches to this mailing list. If I were doing merges all the time this
wouldn't be possible. Also when I find a bug in one of the patches I
do a commit that I squash with the original patch - I seriously doubt
that Nick wants to review one patch together with all its fixes
scattered in this mailing list.

That said, I don't rebase anything in the for_review* branches - these
are those I have sent here for review and people don't want to see
these changing. I'll push the latest changes as for_review3 (rebased
so that the original patches will be modified). But I consider the
remaining branches as my private branches and do rebase them.

Regarding rebasing it's not such a problem for not extremely huge
projects with too many contributors whose work is likely to interfere.
If you look at the history of any gnome library like gtk and glib
you'll see that most of the time the work is rebased on top of master
instead of merging people's branches so the history is mostly linear.
Linux kernel is the opposite example.

Jiri