[Geany-devel] Per document tab width

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Aug 11 12:25:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:23:49 +0200
Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I would propose to have one more entry in the Document menu called
> >> e.g. "Tab size" and placed under "Indent type" with a submenu
> >> containing numbers from 2 to 8 (I hope there is nobody so crazy that
> >> he would use tab for a single char indent or go over 8 characters)
> >> with a radio button selecting the active selection. The user could
> >> change the default tab size of the active document to anything he
> >> wishes. This settings could also be saved into the project/session
> >> file so the files get reloaded with the same tab size settings. What
> >> do you think about this feature?
> >
> > I second the idea of the per-document tab-width.

As we now have 3 devs in favour, perhaps we should support it ;-)

There is a related issue with applying changed default indent settings
- ask the user whether to apply the new settings to all documents in
the session. But this is something we should do anyway IMO, just
mentioning it.

> > Maybe I would design
> > the menu a bit in another way and provide a small dialog with a text
> > field or spinner where you can setup the tab-width. :)
> > (I guess it's not possible to integrate something like a text field or
> > spinner into a menu?)
> >

> I suggested the settings to work this way because all the other per
> document settings (indent type, file type, encoding, line endings) are
> implemented as radio menu items. But can be done the way you suggest,
> I don't care much. I'll wait for Enrico's or Nick's opinion on this.

I think radio buttons is fine, I think 2-8 is reasonable.

Regards,
Nick