[Geany-devel] When is the scintilla component going to be updated?

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Wed Aug 11 10:56:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:50, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:22:52 +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo
> <mle+tools at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
>> Frank Lanitz wrote:
>>
>>> Using a DVCS was already under discussion with a few pros for using
>>> git. Maybe you can search a bit inside archive of this list. There has
>>> been a huge number of mails around start of June.
>>
>> I don't particularly like git, but git would be a huge improvement over
>> SVN.
>>
>>> Beside of the advantages/disadvantages mentioned there I don't see that
>>> this will be able to solve the issue, that some of the 'core'devs needs
>>> to review a patch before merging it into official trunk.
>>
>> Assuming for the moment that git (and github) is used, the core devs
>> will probably find it easier to pull patches from other git trees
>> than manually applying patches from the mailing list.
>
> Applying a patch is the smallest issue here as with a wellformed patch
> its only something like patch -p0 < some_patch. Reviewing a patch and
> testing etc. cannot be solved by any VCS.
>
>> Secondly, havin geany in git will make life easier for people like me
>> and Jiří Techet who are keeping a bunch of patches on top of what is
>> currently in SVN (I've currently got a set of 9 quilt patches I apply
>> to whatever is in SVN head).
>
> From my understanding Jiří is already using git with git-svn on his
> local working space. Not sure whether something like this is available

I'm using the git mirror that geany provides. I keep master in sync
with the geany mirror without any extra patches applied (so basically
I do 'git pull' in master now and then) and have my patches in a
separate branch. After pulling from geany's repository I checkout the
branch with my patches and do 'git rebase master' which puts my
patches on top of the current master. When sending the patches to the
mailing list, I do 'git send-email --attach --compose HEAD~X..', where
X is the number of patches I'm sending. I make the commit messages
detailed enough so they serve as the email body too. Just mentioning
this workflow as others might find it useful as well.

> for Mercurial. However, I don't want to start a new discussion about git
> and co at the moment as its not adding any additional value to.

Agree. I think everything has already been said in the long thread
some time ago. My understanding is that the outcome of the discussion
was that nobody is really against switching to a distributed version
control system for geany (and some people would really like to do the
switch) but the core developers don't have time to do the migration
and learn how to adjust their workflow with a DVCS so the switch won't
happen now but may happen later in the future. I understand and
respect this decision. (The only thing I would still like to have is
the .gitignore file distributed with geany.)

Jiri