[Geany-devel] When is the scintilla component going to be updated?

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Wed Aug 11 09:50:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:22:52 +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+tools at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> Frank Lanitz wrote:
>
>> Using a DVCS was already under discussion with a few pros for using
>> git. Maybe you can search a bit inside archive of this list. There has
>> been a huge number of mails around start of June.
>
> I don't particularly like git, but git would be a huge improvement over
> SVN.
>
>> Beside of the advantages/disadvantages mentioned there I don't see that
>> this will be able to solve the issue, that some of the 'core'devs needs
>> to review a patch before merging it into official trunk.
>
> Assuming for the moment that git (and github) is used, the core devs
> will probably find it easier to pull patches from other git trees
> than manually applying patches from the mailing list.

Applying a patch is the smallest issue here as with a wellformed patch
its only something like patch -p0 < some_patch. Reviewing a patch and
testing etc. cannot be solved by any VCS.

> Secondly, havin geany in git will make life easier for people like me
> and Jiří Techet who are keeping a bunch of patches on top of what is
> currently in SVN (I've currently got a set of 9 quilt patches I apply
> to whatever is in SVN head).

>From my understanding Jiří is already using git with git-svn on his
local working space. Not sure whether something like this is available
for Mercurial. However, I don't want to start a new discussion about git
and co at the moment as its not adding any additional value to.

Thanks,
Frank