[Geany-devel] When is the scintilla component going to be updated?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+tools at xxxxx
Mon Aug 9 23:02:30 UTC 2010

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Anyone have any idea when the scintilla component is going to be
> updated?

I notice the documentation here:

   http://www.geany.org/manual/hacking.html#syntax-highlighting

says:

   We won't accept adding a lexer that conflicts with one in
   Scintilla. All new lexers should be submitted back to the
   Scintilla project to save duplication of work.

I agree with the idea of trying to avoid duplication of work. I
would like to add syntax highlighting for LLVM but with Geany
being out of sync with Scintilla I'm not sure where I should be
working. If I do it in Geany then its lost when Geany updates
its version of Scintilla and if I do it in Scintilla I have no
easy way of testing it.

On top of that myself and others are submitting patches to this
mailing list and not even having them acknowledged by anyone
with SVN commit access.

I know this is an open source project run by volunteers who
may not always have time free to work on the project (I am the
author of two well known and widley used FOSS libraries).
However, it would be nice if the Geany developers could do one
or more of the following:

  a) Say "I'm $too_busy_to_work_on_geany now. I will attend to
     this on $date."

  b) Sort out the Scintilla issue as soon as possible and
     document how the Scintilla files are brought into Geany.

  c) Give SVN access to people they trust who can review and
     apply patches sent to this list.

  d) Start a development branch where people can submit patches
     and have them applied in a timely manner so other people
     can try them out and comment on them.

Erik