[Geany-devel] Improved syntactic highlighting for Haskell

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Aug 4 13:26:26 UTC 2010

On 4 August 2010 23:18, Krasimir Angelov <kr.angelov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Geany Hackers,
>
> I am using Haskell for most of my work and I want to have better
> syntactic highlighting for it. After I successfully compiled and
> installed Geany on my computer I did some fixes in the lexer. The
> patch is attached.
>

> This is the list of problems that I fixed:
>
> - some keywords were not listed in filetypes.haskell
>
> - in Haskell there are some words that are keywords only in some
> context. For example here:
>
>           import Foo as Bar
>
>  'as' is a keyword but in all other contexts it is a normal
> identifier. There are some other keywords like that
>
> - The highligthting was failing if the operators are not separated by
> spaces. For example here:
>
>           10+20
>
>  '+' is not highlighted. It worked fine only if I write 10 + 20.
>
> - There was highlighting for data types, classes and instances but it
> didn't work correctly. For example:
>
>           class Foo x where ....
>
>  here Foo is highlighted as class name. Unfortunately this worked
> correctly only for very simple cases. For example
>  this is also correct declaration:
>
>           class Eq x => Foo x where
>
>  but in this case Eq will be highlighted which the right class name
> is Foo. Since this case could be solved only by implementing
>  a full parser, I just removed this feature. It is not very useful anyway.
>

> I hope that this patch will be added in the main repository. Let me
> know if there is some special procedure for sending patches.
>

> Best Regards,
>  Krasimir

Hi Krasimir,

The Scintilla editing component (everything in the Scintilla
directory) is an independent project at http://www.scintilla.org.
Geany tries to only use unmodified versions from that project.  Could
you please send your changes to Scintilla and they will flow through
to Geany.

I probably should let you know that Scintilla has just undergone a
significant and partly incompatible change in lexer structure, so your
patches may need to be adjusted for the Lexer of the new Scintilla.