[Geany-devel] GtkRecentManager slowness - Re: [patch] Improved documents list sorting

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Thu Apr 29 16:47:41 UTC 2010

Nick Treleaven a écrit :
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:46:45 +0200
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
>>> Yes, I think it could be a (hidden?) option at least until it got fixed
>>> at the GTK level. Note that anyway it is only available if Geany was
>>> compiled against GTK >= 2.12.
>> Which is probably true for most Geany users (using GTK >= 2.12).
>
> (After a quick Grep it seems to me it's 2.10, not 2.12).
Yes, actually. I don't know why I've said 2.12 sorry.

>> Maybe we could generally disable calling gtk_recent_manager_add_item()
>> when opening more than one file at once because maybe the user doesn't
>> want to have them added at all. Though, no idea if this is a valid
>> assumption and also no idea how to verify it :).
I don't think so. I use that recent files feature, not that much but I
use it. And I would be definitely surprised if a file is added to it if
I open it alone but not if I open another file together.
But of course if we open 15 files and only 10 are shown in the recent
list, the first 5 might haven't be added at all. It would probably be a
little tricky to do that but it's probably the less wrong workaround.

> In fact, we might keep the workaround for e.g. 2.10, 2.12, etc if the
> fix is only in the most recent version(s).
Yes, I don't think GTK maintainers would release patch for the older
versions. Perhaps distributions would do so, but I doubt -- it is not a
security fix, only usability, and that have a significant impact only
when dealing with lot of files.

Regards,
Colomban