[Geany-devel] Questions on inserting text & indentation

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Apr 29 14:39:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 00:28:02 +0200
Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> In my GeanyGenDoc plugin I was using sci_insert_text() to insert the
> generated documentation comment; but I wanted to be able to indent the
> inserted comment to follow the indentation at the insertion position.
>
> I found editor_insert_text_block() which seemed quite interesting, but
> it didn't do what I expected -- and still no indentation. Of course when
> going a bit in the code, since I inserted my comment at the start of the
> line, and editor_insert_text_block() adds the indentation that is found
> between the start of the line and the insertion position… which are the
> same in my case.
> Then, I wondered how to fix my problem, and finally found a solution
> that consists to insert at start of line + sci_get_line_indentation() [1].
>
> But I have some questions:
> 1) How editor_insert_text_block() is meant to be used to get the right
> indentation, since (if I'm right) we need to insert at the right
> position in the first line? Is the solution I've found the right one, or
> is there a cleaner/simpler solution?

Can you give a code example of what you're trying to do?

> 2) If this is a good way to proceed, could we have
> sci_get_line_indentation() in the plugin API? Even though it is easy to
> reproduce [2] it would be nicer to have it directly.

We can do, send a patch if you like. It sounds like it might be
better to use editor_insert_text_block in this case.

Regards,
Nick