[Geany-devel] [patch] Improved documents list sorting

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Wed Apr 28 08:54:55 UTC 2010

Am 28.04.2010 10:36, schrieb Thomas Martitz:
>>> I think it isn't only UI stuff because my system monitor shows me (lot
>>> of) I/O, that seems to be heavy disk *writes*, in addition to simple
>>> CPU
>>> usage. Note that this happens effectively only after the files being
>>> loaded (hum, after the info about them are shown).
>> Haha, got it! Thanks to gdb, I found what takes all this time:
>> GtkRecentManager, and particularly gtk_recent_manager_add_item(manager,
>> uri) at line 1037 of ui_utils.c.
>> Why? well, it seems to syncs its state at each and every addition, and
>> the g_file_set_contents(), which calls… fsync().
>> Commenting the addition completely fixes the problem after file loading.
>> Now it takes about 11 seconds, to load the files (always as reported by
>> the verbose messages).
>> Time to search for a but report on GTK I think.
>
> 40 seconds for 235 files here. Still largely annoying, I frequently
> switch projects which is basically a pain. This 235 are part of a
> project. A real one which I use, not just a test case.
>
> Can the recent manager be disabled for projects? The files are
> collected in projects and there's the recent project list, so I don't
> see a need to add files that belong to a project to the recent files
> list.
>
> To be honest, I never use the recent files feature. 11 seconds sounds
> like a dream.
>
> Best regards.

I did a test as well. I commented out the two add_recent_file() calls,
and loading my 235-files project now takes 25 seconds, which is better
but nowhere near your 11 seconds. But I noticed the HDD led doesn't
blink anymore during the file opening so I'd say I can confirm I/O usage
is heavily reduced (no writes).

Best regards.