[Geany-devel] In-memory tagmanager parsing

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Apr 25 09:36:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:48:30 -0400, jordan wrote:

>On 04/20/2010 10:45 AM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
>> Nick Treleaven a écrit :

>>> IDEs reparse the tags from memory in idle time.
>>>
>> Yeah, but it means that they can. Then the question is: what
>> Monodevelop use then to do so? An enhanced version of CTags, a
>> completely other thing or what?
>> (if nobody knows, I'll perhaps take a look at the code later)
>>
>Had a quick look and it looks to me like Monodevelop may use a
>temporary file with the current buffer.  It does use CTags though,
>however the code for the most part is sparsely commented.  However it
>looks as  if it creates a new  thread and  ctags is run against the
>tmp file containing the buffer and then the output parsed.

This is similar to what we do:
we tell the tagmanager(which is more or less an extension of CTags) to
parse the file. The main differences are:
- we parse the source file itself, not a temporary file
- we don't do it in a separate thread

I'm not sure we can easily change the behaviour to use a temp file,
probably yes, technically also but it might have side effects. Needs to
be examined.
About threads: we probably could do this but I doubt it will gain much
performance because the parsing itself is probably way faster than the
GUI part. I.e. we first parse the file and then retrieve the list of
symbols from the tagmanager and fill the Symbol List with the results.
Filling the Symbol List can't be done in a thread because GTK doesn't
allow this. So, we only could do the real parsing in a thread not the
GUI stuff which probably takes way more time.