[Geany-devel] CFLAGS - Re: [patch] "Constify" some arguments and fields

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Apr 22 15:49:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:35:17 +0200
Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> >> [1] -Wall -W -O2 -Wunused -Wunreachable-code -Wformat=2 -Wundef -Wshadow
> >> -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wwrite-strings -Wconversion
> >> -Waggregate-return -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
> >> -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-noreturn -Wmissing-format-attribute
> >> -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -pedantic
> >
> > BTW, which one causes the const literal string warnings?
> -Wwrite-strings. It makes string literals explicitly constant so such an
> implicit cast is found.

Oh thanks, I scanned through for a string warning but there must be a
bug in my brain's grep function ;-)

> Ah, as we talk about compiler options, another think I like to add is
> -Werror-implicit-function-declaration (that, as its name suggests, take
> an implicit function declaration as an error), since such a situation is
> most likely a bug in the program; and passing invalid arguments to
> functions leads to strange bugs too anyway.

It's already enabled for -Wall, according to:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Warning-Options.html#Warning-Options

Regards,
Nick