[Geany-devel] ctags - Re: In-memory tagmanager parsing

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Apr 20 16:41:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:53:23 +0200
Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz at student.HTW-Berlin.de> wrote:

> Am 20.04.2010 15:56, schrieb Nick Treleaven:
> > I think we should try to stay fairly compatible with CTags as other
> > projects use it also and may make improvements to their copies.
> >
> > But IMO it's OK to change the I/O functions.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Nick
> >

> Aren't Geany tags (the ones that are saved on the disc) already
> incompatible with ctags since a long time? At least the manual says so.
> Or is it internally still compatible with ctags?

That's the global tag file format, not the source files.

> I think trying to keep things sync'd with an inactive project (which it
> seems to be as mentioned in a previous mail) is the right way if you
> want to keep actual progress out.

I didn't say we shouldn't add features. I've added many myself. What I
meant was not to start using GLib functions or making
organisational changes unless there's a significant benefit.

As I already said, CTags is used in many projects which *are* actively
developed. We may be able to merge changes from these.

Regards,
Nick