[Geany-devel] In-memory tagmanager parsing

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Apr 20 13:56:36 UTC 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:51:04 +0200
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> >> Yeah, that would be a clean and proper solution and would probably
> >> solve a lot of problems.
> >> But before doing this, we need to decide whether we want to stay as
> >> compatible as possible with the CTags project(which makes very slow
> >> progress, almost dead) as we did before or whether we would spend
> >> time on modernising the parsers and adjust them to work more like we
> >> need it (not sure how many differences there would be at all though).
> >>
> >> Once this decision is made, we can think about your question above
> >> about an I/O abstracting layer.
> >Yeah. I might say if it is so dead, it is hope not so far from
> >blindness to wait for updates and fixes from it.
> >But OTHO I completely understand that the simple idea of being the
> >maintainer of it might be quite... scary.
>
> That's the question for now, I guess. If we decide to not try to stay
> compatible with CTags we maybe could adjust the parsers more easily to
> fit our needs, especially to read data from a buffer and we could
> easily use GLib functions in the parsers which could make the code a
> bit easier and other things.
> From what I noticed (mainly reading svn log of the CTags repository),
> it sees a few commits every few weeks or months mostly with fixes but no
> real progress.
> I think we could go away and push our tagmanager copy into our
> direction but OTOH it might be not even worth.
> Not sure.
>
> What about the others, any opinions?

I think we should try to stay fairly compatible with CTags as other
projects use it also and may make improvements to their copies.

But IMO it's OK to change the I/O functions.

Regards,
Nick