[Geany-devel] In-memory tagmanager parsing

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Apr 19 17:51:04 UTC 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 01:26:36 +0200, Colomban wrote:

Hi,

>>> Then, I would like to know what else didn't work, what need to be
>>> fixed, etc.; because I'd really love to have it working.
>>
>> The parsers...
>Haha! I must admit I hoped a more precise answer :D

I feared about that...:).
For details, see below.

>> I don't remember all details (sigh, this is long time ago :( ), but I
>> think the main problem was that most parsers read the data from the
>> file so that it could not be easily converted to read from a buffer.
>> Only the few above mentioned parsers did it so that we could change
>> the underlying data to be a buffer instead of a real file.
>Hum, I don't fully understand. By "it" in the last sentence you mean
>read.[ch]?

Yes, "it" referred to the way the parsers read data from the source
files.

>>> parser must care about buffer VS file, wouldn't it be good to
>>> abstract this a little more? (with e.g. a little I/O layer - I
>>> already started a small library to check if it would be easy to
>>> emulate file I/O on buffer, and it seems not to be too hard)
>>
>> Yeah, that would be a clean and proper solution and would probably
>> solve a lot of problems.
>> But before doing this, we need to decide whether we want to stay as
>> compatible as possible with the CTags project(which makes very slow
>> progress, almost dead) as we did before or whether we would spend
>> time on modernising the parsers and adjust them to work more like we
>> need it (not sure how many differences there would be at all though).
>>
>> Once this decision is made, we can think about your question above
>> about an I/O abstracting layer.
>Yeah. I might say if it is so dead, it is hope not so far from
>blindness to wait for updates and fixes from it.
>But OTHO I completely understand that the simple idea of being the
>maintainer of it might be quite... scary.

That's the question for now, I guess. If we decide to not try to stay
compatible with CTags we maybe could adjust the parsers more easily to
fit our needs, especially to read data from a buffer and we could
easily use GLib functions in the parsers which could make the code a
bit easier and other things.
>From what I noticed (mainly reading svn log of the CTags repository),
it sees a few commits every few weeks or months mostly with fixes but no
real progress.
I think we could go away and push our tagmanager copy into our
direction but OTOH it might be not even worth.
Not sure.

What about the others, any opinions?