[Geany-devel] geany layout

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Sat Apr 10 14:42:12 UTC 2010

Am Samstag, den 10.04.2010, 11:37 +0300 schrieb Enzo Matrix:

> Hello all,
>
> i want to share one my ide about geany interface layout and if
> somebody be interests about it.
>
> "Append toolbar to menu" is really nice option but i think that my
> idea can provide additional minimalism, the idea is simple, the
> toolbar can be moved in right of sidebar in top of the editor sheet in
> the same level as the tabs of the sidebar and adding one more combobox
> for current open files (this will recover tabs).
>

> http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/2769/geanynowlayout.png
>
> http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3879/geanylayoutmockup.png

I actually like the idea, but would suggest some small improvements to
it: It always should be possible for the user to decide if he enables or
disables features. So disabling of the document tabs should be optional
- as it currently is in Geany, see the Interface-tab in the pref-dialog.

I'd consider the dropdown-menu in the toolbar as an additional feature
which should be optional too (It actually already is, regarding that the
toolbar is configurable). Thus, one can disable the document tabs if he
wants, and enable the dropdown-menu if he wants. The result would be
your suggestion. But if I want to have both, that also would be possible
as well as if one would like to stay just with the document tabs.

For the idea with the sidebar taking more vertical space: We should
think of users with small screen widths and many icons in the toolbar.
They maybe wouldn't be visible all at a time. Well, the toolbar is
configurable and anytime should be. So the sidebar layout should be
configurable for the user too, either in the pref-dialog or as a hidden
pref.

Best Regards,
Dominic

--
Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com>

http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint:
A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0 BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D