[Geany-devel] Safe file saving - permissions issue

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Apr 1 11:41:13 UTC 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:41:20 +0400
Алексей Антипов <1a_antipov at mail.ru> wrote:

> Btw, the bugs with GVFS didn't appear with GNOME 2.26 (and probably before), so I think we can safely use fopen() and fprintf()/fwrite() there. Then, your proposal about version separation (use GIO with GLib>=2.16 and fopen()/g_file_set_contents() with other) is extremely attractive. Do you know if there is a way to get GLib version at runtime, not at compile-time (so that there is no need to rebuild all the packages for different versions)?
>
> I'm going to start working on it; if this is OK, I'll send a patch ASAP.

BTW There is another problem that file saving should solve - not
losing existing file data when there is no space to save the new file.
Does g_file_replace_contents() handle this problem? (g_file_set_contents
() does handle this but as you mention has other problems).

So while it's great you found a solution to the gvfs bugs, ideally we
would have one function that works everywhere. It seems possible but
may be a pain trying to get it to work :-/

Just wanted to mention this.

Regards,
Nick