[Geany-devel] Reflow & long lines

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Sep 22 12:32:50 UTC 2009

2009/9/22 Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:49:39 +0400
> Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> BUT, I don't know a case when it's useful to set line break column and
>> long-line column to different values. As to me, I'd prefer this to be
>> one setting.
>
> Me too. Maybe that's the reason why I never recognized this berfore.

Yes, the defaults are the same so its likely not to notice. But they
have different uses.

For code I use long lines set to 100 and no automatic breaking (since
it *never* happens in the right place in code :-) ( "100 or so" also
happens to be Geany's recommended code line length)

For text (eg Geany.txt) I use line break on at 70 and auto break on,
since 70 or so is the recommended maximum text line size for
readability.  Thats why I would like reflow to go to the same limit. I
use it only in text not in code.

I think Eugene's suggestion of using line break when auto breaking is
on and long line otherwise is a good one.  It provides the best of
both worlds without much complexity.