[Geany-devel] Geany 0.18 (configure.in) has hidden depends on 'which' utility.

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Sep 15 17:27:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:06:38 -0400, Erik wrote:

>> In fact, I think there are many system scripts which
>> use 'which', so if you don't have 'which', your system shouldn't
>> even work.
>>

>It's that Geany is built in a clean chroot build environment along
>with only the compilers and libs required. ``which`` is not a
>necessary build requirement IMHO. We should have a portable, standard,
>``configure`` that can build Geany, not a system utility script that
>calls any arbitrary prog and forces users to figure out which ones are
>needed.

The whole reason for using "which" was to be more portable. The
autoconf macros you mention are broken or at least not usable for
checking for a C++ compiler (or I'm too stupid, then they are just to
hard to use).

As Nick said, if it is such an issue and you know it that better, we
would be happy about a sane patch to improve things.