[Geany-devel] Geany 0.18 (configure.in) has hidden depends on 'which' utility.

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at xxxxx
Fri Sep 11 04:34:09 UTC 2009

On Friday 11,September,2009 09:58 AM, Erik Southworth wrote:
> [...]
> I didn't know that the ``which`` utility was considered a compiler. :p
It isn't, but it searches your $PATH for the full path of a utility, $CXX being
the utility it's searching for. (CXX is a variable containing its name). AFAIK,
which is a coreutils utility, so it should work on all systems capable of
executing a shell script. In fact, I think there are many system scripts which
use 'which', so if you don't have 'which', your system shouldn't even work.
Chances are that your $CXX is not defined to a correct variable.

> How about just using a shell builtin, ``hash``, ``type -P`` or just ``eval
> $CXX --version`` as a test instead?
Does $CXX --version really exist with all C++ compilers?

> configure.in:18 : which $CXX >/dev/null 2>&1
> configure.in:51 : GIT=`which git 2>/dev/null`
> configure.in:60 : SVN=`which svn 2>/dev/null`
> Found 3 matches for "which".
The last two are required to get the full path of git and svn into $GIT and
$SVN. The first is harmless for reasons mentioned above.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin