[Geany-devel] On coding style

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Sep 10 14:59:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 02:28:16 +0200
Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz at student.HTW-Berlin.de> wrote:

> > So coding style *is* important and should be machine enforced, hence I
> > think Nicks script is a great idea.
> >

> I agree to all of that, except for the last part. I don't like these
> scripts, since teaching programmers in the first place on a good coding
> style in is the better way to enforce it. The learning curve on
> project-specific style is mostly quite short, while this scripts make
> programmers just careless about coding style in general (not project

The script is only intended to reformat some annoying but easy to
script alignment, we still need to write the code style spec. If anyone
wants to make a start on it... ;-)

> specific), and might be buggy at times messing up style everywhere.

The script is incapable of fixing all but trivial things, and if it
messes up anything the script must be fixed or not used.

Regards,
Nick