[Geany-devel] abc tagmanager patch

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Sep 8 01:15:50 UTC 2009

2009/9/8 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
> On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 17:17:39 +1000, Lex wrote:

>>> I don't want to be the killjoy, but I don't want to add any arbitrary
>>> filetypes. We should limit the list of filetypes to those which are
>>> commonly used. To decide which filetypes belong to this critieria and
>>> which not is quite hard, maybe some of the already existing filetypes
>>> do not, others are probably missing.
>>
>>IMHO too many LMLs (little markup languages) have got in lately, but
>>they don't do much harm, its a pity Scintilla doesn't have a loadable
>>lexer capability so languages can be selected by users without loading
>>the lexer code for all of them even if I don't want them.
>
> I think Scintilla has this, at least some sort of. But I never got into
> it to find out how it works in detail, so I can't say much about it.

Ah yes, external lexers, I had a quick look at Scintilla.  The
interface looks pretty simple.

Now if the filetypes array is extendible at runtime (g_array maybe)
and with the exporting of a few extra functions to plugins then a
plugin could add a language.  All the plugin would need was to create
the filetype entry and tell scintilla to load the lexer if it wasn't
already loaded.  (I think, you will doubtless now tell me that there
is heaps more to do :-)

And then, after a period of discussion, argument, fighting, voting,
consulting chicken entrails or other appropriate method of making a
decision some less used languages could be moved to plugins so users
need only load those they want :-)

PS what are the bits of code (some #if 0 ed out) relating to custom
filetypes for?