[Geany-devel] ANN: Configurable build beta in trunk

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Sep 3 04:38:23 UTC 2009

2009/9/2 Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com>:
> 2009/9/2 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:

>>>No, disabling isn't right, the make commands are not inherently
>>>dependent on the document, they can be configured to be totally
>>>independent of it, in fact make often runs on the source *tree* and
>>>doesn't care what document is current.
>>>
>>>The thing is to find the problem.
>>>
>>> Since I can't build on windows, can you provide any more feedback (a
>>>backtrace or something) on what actually is complaining of a NULL.  I
>>
>> On Windows, printf() with arguments being NULL crashes. No idea why but
>> it does, mostly.
>> For example things like:
>>
>> char *s = NULL;
>> g_message("This is a %s string.", s);
>>
>> is likely to crash. And this is why Nick suggested to early eliminate
>> such cases. It's harmless on non-Windows systems where you just see a
>> "(null)" string instead. On Windows, you see the operating systems
>> crash dialog...
>>
>> And fixing the warnings Nick mentioned is a very step to pretend such
>> cases.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Enrico
>>

> Enrico,
>
> Thanks for the explanation, as I replied to Nick I had misunderstood
> that he was running on windows and the problem didn't show on Linux.
>
> Will look at where a NULL is escaping detection.
>
> Cheers
> Lex

Hi Guys,

I think I've got them all.  But no guarantees ;-)

Now also gives a status message when failing to run a command because
of no working directory, ie no document filename or configured working
directory.