[Geany-devel] Build system glitches

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Oct 22 09:26:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

2009/10/18 Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I had a email directly from one of my colleagues who has been reading
> this thread and had a question about the project filetype execute
> commands.
>
> Here is part of her email (project name obscured to protect the guilty :-)
>
>>> This looked exactly like what we need for the XXX project where it has
>>> to still support Python 2.4.
>>>
>>> Since most files are coded with "if __MAIN__ then:" test code for this
>>> module, we want to run both the individual file to run the test code and
>>> we want to run the overall application.
>>>
>>> From what you said if I edited the project file directly we could have
>>> both a filetype dependant and a non-filetype dependant command
>>> for the project which ran Python2.4, and when that project was closed
>>> everything would use Python3 as usual, perfect!!
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I can't get project filetype executes to work at all and
>>> looking at the code I can't see where they are handled.
>
> This raised two points:
>
> 1. the project filetypes execute commands code is missing completely,
> I have it in an old version in my personal bazaar repository but it
> never made it into SVN.
>
> 2. because we have more than one execute command is it possible for
> one to be filetype dependent and one to be non-filetype dependent.  In
> fact it is and it works fine when there is no project open, but as
> discussed previously the dialog won't edit the filetype ones at the
> moment.
>
> for 1. I will fix it first since it is a pre-requisite for the
> suggested solution to 2., this may also allow some simplification of
> the implementation due to better consistency.

Done in SVN. Didn't get any simpler though :-)

> for 2. I had never considered having mixed filetype/non-filetype
> commands, but as my colleague has said it is reasonable, and she has
> identified a use for it already, and it already works for non-project
> commands (I tested it with HEAD)
>
> But it did cause me to think about how the dialog should work.  After
> much thought I suggest (I'll keep it as short as possible Enrico so I
> won't mention any alternatives)
>
> There are four sets of execute commands to edit, project vs
> non-project which is addressed by having separate dialogs and for all
> filetypes vs for a specific filetype which is to be addressed by the
> "unobtrusive" check box selecting which is being edited.
>
> In line with current practice if any command is overridden by a higher
> priority one then the higher priority one is shown but it will be
> insensitive.  This ensures that the dialogs always show what will
> appear on the build menu when ok is selected.
>
> If you edit a setting and switch the checkbox, the edit is saved in
> temporary storage until OK is clicked, so you can flick between all
> filetypes and filetype specific settings as many time as you want.

I made a prototype of this dialog, its terrible, very confusing, hard
to tell what you are editing.

So I have made a temporary change in SVN to make the dialog save to
the fieltype execute command for the build menu->set build commands
dialog.  The project dialog still stores execute commands for all
fieltypes.  This is how it used to work.

I will now take some time to look at an alternative build-system
configuration dialog.