[Geany-devel] Custom Filetypes

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Oct 20 12:10:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:08:03 +0100
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> > > @Nick, you replied previously that you didn't expect to implement a
> > > fully extendible filetype system (except as a dream :-) but how far
> > > are you planning to go?  For example using an existing lexer/tag
> > > parser so no programming is needed, could it make enough of a separate
> > > filetype to do the things I've listed above?
> >
> > I think using an existing lexer (even with separate custom-FT styles)
> > and using an existing tag parser seems fairly straightforward to
> > implement, I might look at it soon.
>
> Implemented (without separate custom-FT lexer styles). I added
> "lexer_filetype" and "tag_parser" [settings] keys, explained (briefly)
> in the 'Filetype definition files' section of the manual.

(Hmm, the web devel version of the manual doesn't seem to have the
latest changes...)

Just implemented loading global tags files for custom filetypes, but
they will share the tagmanager tag type. E.g. if a custom filetype Foo
has tag_parser=Perl:

* Using Foo filetype will load any *.[foo_extensions].tags files.
* Then using Perl filetype will load any *.[perl_extensions].tags files,
and tags from both of these will now be used for both Foo and Perl
filetypes.
* If only using one of the filetypes in a Geany instance, the other
filetype's tags files are not loaded.

Regards,
Nick