[Geany-devel] Build system glitches

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Oct 15 18:10:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 06:08:08 +1100, Lex wrote:

Hey guys,

I don't have time to intensively answer your mails although I'd like
to. Though my answer will be rather short, hopefully still clear and
concentrating to the important things.
I guess you'll tell me if not, haha :).

>>Yes, the dialog edits something different to what it used to, whatever
>>is decided that is likely to be changed.
>
>>But it should not only allow one way of working, it may make one group
>>of people happy, but it makes another group unhappy. Just because you
>>don't use the particular functionality doesn't mean it isn't needed,
>>so I have proposed a way of allowing either instead of cutting off
>>options.
>
>I am trying to discuss how to make the default behaviour the same as
>it was previously without losing access to the extra functionality.
>
>The discussion is how to implement that.

That's a ) normal and b) absolutely ok. It's almost always about
finding a compromise between different needs and wishes when it is
about implementing new features.

>> This is exactly what expect (and want also).
>
>The requirements were determined through "thousands of emails" to
>quote Enrico (again :-), that something was misunderstood has been
>acknowledged, constantly pointing things out with 20/20 hindsight is
>no help in defining a suitable solution.

Full ACK.
We already noticed there were small communication problems (:D),
anyway, just let's concentrate on how to make it better for the future.

>To reiterate:
>
>The build system does not do anything wrong, a dialog edits a
>different setting to what it used to and the build system does what
>that edit tells it to do.
>
>I have suggested a change to the dialog that allows it to default to
>editing the settings as it used to so that the build system will
>behave as it used to, but still allows access to edit the other
>settings for those of us who want to use that functionality.

I'd prefer the checkbox, at least it'd be better than a combo box. I
see why you suggested the combo box and it's rationale but just not
nice. A checkbox next to the title is probably less intrusive and less
diverting, I think.